Parole Rescinded For Rapist Serving 170-Year Prison Term

During a closed hearing held on Wednesday July 3rd, 2024, the California Board of Parole Hearings  rescinded the early parole of convicted rapist Cody Woodsen Klemp.

Klemp had been sentenced to 170 years in prison.

And for now, the 68 year old Klemp will remain in custody and will be referred back to the Parole Board for a future hearing regarding the granting of parole.

The July 3rd hearing was held to determine whether an error was made in November 2023, when the board granted Klemp’s parole under the state’s Elderly Parole Program.

In 1994, case CR50622, the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office proved the Klemp’s guilt, and he was sentenced to 170 years in prison for 10 counts of rape, 10 counts of oral copulation on a child, and 20 counts of committing lewd and lascivious acts on a child.

“Although this practice of early release is far from unusual these days, considering the inmate’s particularly violent criminal history and admissions to the parole board itself, it is shocking that such a release would be considered. It is devasting to victims to relive the trauma when justice was already established several years prior,” said District Attorney Mike Hestrin. 

“Our office will continue to combat the early release of incarcerated felons on behalf of victims and public safety. The absurdity of it all is that we should have to fight so hard to convince the parole board

that an obviously dangerous rapist should serve the entirety of his previously handed down prison sentence. But that’s exactly what we do and will continue to do every day until this madness stops.”

On Nov. 8th, 2023, the state parole board cited Klemp’s ‘low risk for violence,’ his age (at that time he was 67), and his marketable skills, as consideration for finding him suitable for parole. 

In March 2024, after several letters from D-A Hestrin to California Governor Gavin Newsom, explaining why Klemp should remain in prison, the State Parole Board rescinded its findings, which kept Klemp from being released that month.

The July 3rd 2024  hearing was another step toward attempting to keep Klemp in prison.

“Parole hearings are our opportunity to argue against the release of inmates who we believe continue to pose a danger to the community,” said Riverside County Managing Deputy District Attorney Kamaria Henry. “In recent years, we’ve noticed an increase in the number of individuals who are found suitable for parole well before they have served their original sentence, despite our arguments that the inmate poses a threat to the community.”

To combat this issue, the DA’s Office continues to educate the public about changes in parole suitability laws, write letters to the Board of Parole Hearings and the Governor, and appear at parole hearings. 

One of Klemp’s victims, who is also his niece, says when the board decided to grant his parole in 2023, she was re-traumatized. 

She says she knows he will rape again.

“He will absolutely rape again. He has been committing rapes since he was eighteen years old. The only time he did not rape was when he was in prison,” said the victim who wants to remain anonymous.

 

 

Convicted Rapist Cody Woodsen Klemp

Photo from Riverside County District Attorney’s Office