Palm Springs Public Library awarded $6.5 million “Building Forward Grant” from California State Library
Sept. 13th, 2022
Following a rigorous review process, the City of Palm Springs is pleased to announce the Palm Springs Public Library has been awarded a matching $6.5 million “Building Forward Grant” from the California State Library.
The award is intended to fund needed renovations and upgrades to the main Library building which include the following:
- A new emergency backup generator, egress hardware, light and power systems
- Installation of a new fire sprinkler system
- Seismic retrofitting
- A new air filtration system
- A new security alarm system
- Skylights, railings and fall protection anchor points
- HVAC replacement and terminal and package units
- Roof replacement
- Replacement of interior doors and locks
- Replacement of carpeting and/or floors
- Window replacements
- Replacement of water lines and plumbing
- Painting (preventative maintenance)
- Electrical service
- Replacement of non-emergency lighting
- Replacement of ADA signage
- Improved inclusive access
“This $6.5 million will go along way in helping the Library improve services and access to the community,” said Jeannie Kays, the City’s Director of Library Services, who noted the building has long needed upgrades.
“We are extremely thankful to the California State Library for recognizing the need and approving this important project which will positively impact our Palm Springs community for generations to come,” said Kays.
The Palm Springs Public Library is located at 300 S. Sunrise Way. Beginning next week, hours of operation will be Mondays from 10 am-6 pm, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 10 am-8 pm, Thursdays 10 am–6 pm, Friday and Saturday,10 am-5 pm. The Library is closed Sundays.
big pile of money american dollar bills on white background 3d illustration.
Photo from Alpha Media USA Portland OR